Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Tour of California

In 2008, I was barely getting a look at some of the best cyclists in the world whiz by in downtown Sacramento.
Last year, I had to skip the event to spend Valentine's Day in San Francisco seeing a lousy kung-fu movie...with justified commentary from a group who knows how to insult cinematic incompetence.
This past weekend, I finally got a chance to see the Tour of California up close and personal. If I was lucky, I'd get a good picture of a hundred riders whiz past me at 25 miles per hour.
It's not exactly like the Tour de France, even if I've never been there, but I am sure both tours have this in common...

That's one big jersey

They had another bike race before that from a smaller tour, but still very fast and exciting...

Sacramento Grand Prix

My spot was at 12th and L, near the Hyatt. I stood there for more than tour hours, practicing for the best shot.

So, who's winning?

and there was acceptable graffiti, just like the Tour de France....

Acceptable graffiti

Eventually, they did arrive...

two laps to go

I even got a picture of the winner, Mark Cavendish...

Mark Cavendish

This, of course, is no cyclist

Not Greg LeMond

I'm sure next year will be even better. I just might try the same street corner.

No comments: