Sunday, September 23, 2012

It's been a while

As summer turns into fall, although the thermometer may argue otherwise, I am having a good time in Los Angeles this week, especially today.

I spent much of yesterday cramming a lot from my list of things to do. I went to the Arclight Dome to see The Master (no, not Torgo's boss) in 70mm. Although the story wasn't as good as There Will Be Blood, I was blown away by the dynamic duo of Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman. They really made this movie in a unique relationship with a man with a unique belief system and a man who hopes it will save him (but is he really trying?). I won't get into the story, but the film tells its story almost like There Will Be Blood, and it shows Phoenix as Eddie, the protagonit whoo's trying to find himself, or let Lancaster Dodd (Hoffman) do that for him. It's interesting that while Dodd keeps telling Ediie to reject his animalistic ways, Dodd's a bit of an animal himself. That's especially true when he meets with followers in Philadelphia.

Amy Adams is also great as Peggy Dodd, who seems to be more devoted to The Cause, Dodd's religion, than he is. It's clear this movie is the front-runner for the Oscar race, but that's only because its competitors haven't arrived yet. The chellenge will be coming, from the trailers I've seen, from Silver Linings Playbook, Killing Them Softly and Argo.

Now for some pictures....

I Believe...it's the perfect marquee for the Book of Mormon

Now matter how good the San Francisco production of The Book of Mormon will be, it won't compete with the marquee at the Pantages. Since I'll be back in a month, I will try to get a ticket in its daily lottery sometime.

It's Emmy weekend, so here's as close as I'm going to get to the awards...

The traditional Big Emmy

Emmys, the night before

If Jimmy Kimmel scores big tonight, maybe Jimmy Kimmel Live will be actually live when he takes over 11:35 in February, or at least on a 30-minute delay. He still has the freshest show every night. Tonight will be the freshest of all.

Since Monday will be a free day, more pictures will be coming Tuesday, so stay tuned

No comments: