Tuesday, December 2, 2008

This is RIFFING!!

I finally tried out one of the Rifftrax commentaries targeting a popular movie, rather than a bad one. I watched the DVD to 300 while the Rifftrax crew, led by Mike Nelson, give their two cents worth. At the 2007 Comic-Con, I met Mike at the Rifftrax booth just after I learned the movie was going to be shown next door at Petco Park. I jokingly asked Mike if was going to be there to try out his riffs. He didn't answer me, but it would have been a great way to sell more tracks.

The way it works is that you're advised by Mike and his minions, Kevin Murphy and Bill Corbett, when to start the mp3. Their mascot, Disembodio, will sometime repeat a line from the movie to help the listener resynch. This is really helpful when you have to stop the move and iPod for something. The site also offers a special player that lets you see the DVD and hear the commentary in synch to the movie if you're seeing it on your computer. I prefer the TV and iPod combo myself.

Anyway, here's some of the choice riffs that one can expect from the 300 Rifftrax...

Rosie O'Donnell is visiting Sparta?

Leonidas: THIS IS SPARTA!: Woops. I didn't know you were that close to our killing pit.

Xerxes' emissary comes to warn the Spartans: Fabio Jr. is going to set him straight

Gorgo's last words to Leonidas: Spartan, come back with your shield (it makes a great fruit bowl) or on it.

When Leonidas sees Xerxes for the first time: It's like Mr. Clean is on his way to the Mardi Gras.

For a longer example, try this from YouTube:



Imagine what they'll do to Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I'll try that next week.

No comments: