Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Blame it on Felicia Day

Last July, as people gathered at Comic-Con to see Joss Whedon and the cast of Dr. Horrible, many saw Felicia Day "Twittering". Some people suspected it may be something naughty, but it's really the world's biggest chat room, where you can express yourself in 140 letters or less. I didn't think I could get into that, because I express my philosophies about life in general in massive, long-winded paragraphs.

Well, I've been twittering for a week, and I'm getting good at this. I managed to get a direct message from Amber Benson, but I am careful to just reply back. If I see her again, I will ask for permission to send my messages direct, if I ever see her. Ditto for Eliza Dushku, who may have won the battle for Dollhouse, but saw her Celtics and Bruins lose their post-season dreams to be make the Patriots and Red Sox jealous.

As near as I can figure it, a third of my followers may be border-line spam, and I don't get a lot of direct messages. Still, it's been only a week. They have to know I am around, and not too creepy.
I also realized that Twitter is more perfect for me than I thought. I'm someone who likes to respond in one-liners. I learned that from Groucho, Hawkeye Pierce and MST3K. I tweet maybe five or six times a day, especially now with the upfronts unfolding. Afterwards, it may be less often. I will be using it to let people know about my pictures for what trips I have soon.

If I can Twitter using my phone, maybe I can send updates during red carpet events, if I can find any. Doing it during Comic-Con panels may be too tough, especially if I am assigned to certain events. We shall see.

No comments: