Thursday, February 28, 2013

Something Too Awesome to Sell


What I Almost Sold on eBay

I admit it. I love shopping at thrift shops, well before Macklemore made it a major hit rap song that conquered radio and iTunes. I look through places for collectibles I want, or items that would make great eBay bait.

I have to admit that when I found this Butt Numb-A-Thon t-shirt from 2002 at a Goodwill on Vine Street in Hollywood, I was shocked. It was practically in mint condition. It had Harry Knowles, the guru of internet news, dressed like Indiana Jones. I just thought that someone could spend hundreds for this.

Then I realized, I have a piece of nerd history. This was given out before the main event, when a lucky few gathered at the original Alamo Drafthouse to see such things as The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, May, House of 1000 Corpses and Chicago. This is also early in the BNAT history.
So, I bailed out. I sent a link to the above picture on Twitter. Harry re-tweeted it. I just might be famous. Maybe.
I did the right thing.

It's not like another t-shirt I had. It was worn by staff from Aqua Teen Hunger Force in honor of the day they put a couple of Moonites somewhere in Boston in January 2007, setting off a Homeland Security panic. For some reason I didn't get any takers. Maybe next time.

No comments: