Thursday, February 19, 2009

I'm going to the PaleyFest, but when?

As some of you may know, this year's Paley Festival will feature two Whedon projects, Dr. Horrible and Dollhouse. They'll be on consecutive nights, April 14th and 15th. Some other show will also be part of the event, from Desperate Housewives and The Mentalist to The Hills (why?) to 90210 (see The Hills). There's also True Blood, Big Love and Fringe on the lineup.

You'd think my chances of going depend on the Dr. H/Dollhouse doubleheader, since both are sure to sell out before the mere mortals get a chance at tickets on March 1st. In an ideal world, where Fargo would have been Best Picture at the 1997 Oscars, I would get tickets to Dollhouse because the whole cast, and The Man, would be there. However, there is one event that will make it certain I will be in L-A during the festival...
they're showing the last three episodes of Pushing Daisies at least four months before ABC will bother to show them on TV.
Not only that, it will be a matinee, and the price will be about the same as seeing Watchmen in Imax!

That is enough! If I luck out on Dollhouse, I'll go there too, but my trip will be around my final, fateful trip to the Pie Hole. It's only a question of whether I'll arrive on Dollhouse night, or Pushing Daisies Day. Anyway, Bryan Fuller, who created the show and is also Heroes' Last Hope, will be there to introduce the episodes. I would hope he'd be around at the end, maybe organize a crowd to head to ABC's office complex and start throwing pies at the programmers' offices. Or...he'll give us pie. That would work. Maybe he'll also talk about the Dead Like Me DVD movie that someone should have told him about so it would be done right.

I would be very surprised if anyone from the cast would be there for the matinee event. It would be a kick, and you never can tell. Afterwards, maybe I'll go see Coraline in 3-D, if I don't get a chance to do that next week during Wondercon.

Getting back to the festival, I noticed that while Joss, his brothers, Nathan Fillion, and Felicia Day will be there, Neil Patrick Harris may not. I'm guessing it's due to his sitcom, How I Met Your Mother, but maybe he can call and give ominous warnings from the Evil League of Evil boardroom. I hope his presence will be felt somehow. This will be a treat for those who weren't at the Doc's appearances at Comic-Con last summer. Believe me, the electricity felt when it was shown on a big screen with the cast there....once in a lifetime!

Some are also wondering if Dollhouse will stay on TV when April 15th rolls around. At least one smart aleck at Aint It Cool News has brought it up. I am certain both shows will survive long enough on Fox and the Festival.

In any case, pies will definitely get me to L-A in April.

No comments: